Kirk D. Broders
Plant Biology, SAFS, Genetics and Microbiology
389 Rudman Hall
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Guelph, 2009
Ph.D., Ohio State University, 2008
B.S., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2004
Courses to be Taught:
General Area of Interest and/or Specialty:
My research interests include both basic and applied aspect of fungal plant pathogens and how they interact with their hosts and environment. Research areas integrate ecology, epidemiology, population genetics, and genomics to develop a broader understanding of fungal pathogen diversity and their spread over space and time. The knowledge gained from these investigations is used to develop management strategies to decrease economic losses to agricultural crops and develop conservation strategies in forest ecosystems.
- Broders, K.D., Woeste, K.E., San Miguel, P.J., Westerman, R.P., and Boland G.J. 2011. Discovering Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) in an uncharacterized fungal genome using the program EagleView to evaluate 454 sequencing data. Molecular Ecology Resources.
- Broders, K.D. and Boland, G.J. 2011. Reclassification of the butternut canker fungus, Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum into the genus Ophiognomonia. Fungal Biology. 115 (1): 70-79.
- Ellis, M.L., Broders, K.D., Paul, P.A., and Dorrance, A.E. 2011. Infection of soybean seed by Fusarium graminearum and effect of seed treatments on disease under controlled conditions. Plant Disease 95: 401-407.
- Broders, K.D. and Boland, G.J. 2010. Molecular diagnostic assay for detection of the butternut canker pathogen Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum. Plant Disease 94 (8): 952-958.
- Broders, K.D., Wallhead, M.W., Austin G.D., Lipps, P.E., Paul. P.A., Mullen, R.W., and Dorrance A.E. 2009. Association of soil chemical and physical properties with Pythium species diversity, community composition, and disease incidence. Phytopathology. 99 (8): 957-967.
- Broders, K.D., Lipps, P.E., Paul, P.A., and Dorrance A.E. 2007. Evaluation of Fusarium graminearum associated with corn and soybean seed and seedling disease in Ohio. Plant Disease 91: 1155-1160.
- Broders, K.D., Lipps, P.E., Paul, P.A., and Dorrance A.E. 2007. Characterization of Pythium spp. associated with corn and soybean seed and seedling disease in Ohio. Plant Disease 91:727-735.